Saturday, January 7, 2012

Holy Chicken Marsala

OK... I know, what's with the "holy?" Chicken marsala is my boyfriend's favorite meal. SO, after he has asked for it and asked for it, I finally delivered. His reaction upon his first bite: "OH MY GOD!" I seriously thought something was wrong, he practically yelled it... when I asked him what was wrong, he said "you can make this for me every day of my life." I'd honestly prefer not to; it isn't the easiest meal to make, but I have to admit, it is pretty fantastic. Is it the best chicken marsala ever? I don't know. I've never had chicken marsala. I don't even know what it's supposed to taste like, but the boyfriend seems to think it was perfection. It's not your typical marsala recipe. I read several recipes and decided I didn't like any of them and immediately started jotting down ingredients that I thought would make it better. And so it was created... holy chicken marsala.






















Ingredients:
1 pkg (pre-packed sliced) baby portabella mushrooms
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can golden mushroom soup
1 small white onion
2 Tbs minced garlic (or less, to taste. I really like garlic)
1.5lbs (give or take, but that's what I used) chicken tenders or breasts halved
3/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
1/4 cup flour
1/3 cup egg beaters (I'm lazy, this is what I use to dredge chicken... eggs are fine too, of course)
1 Tbs oregano (I use the dried Mexican oregano)
pepper & salt to taste
1/2 cup marsala wine
1/4 cup butter (I used whipped butter)
olive oil
pasta or rice

Instructions:

This required a fair bit of multi-tasking, which I am not too fond of, but the result really was worth it, and since my wonderful man slaved all day outside replacing emblems on my beloved camaro, I figured he deserved it. With that being said, I'm going to try to not to type in circles :)

Mince onions in food processor, roughly chop mushrooms so that they're not such large pieces. If your slices are already small, then this is not necessary. In a large pan (you'll be cooking chicken in this pan later) saute onions, mushrooms, and garlic in butter. 

In small pot, combine soups. Add your onions, mushroom & garlic, but make sure to leave a small amount of the mixture in the large pan. This will add flavor to chicken later. Heat on low. Stir Occasionally.

Pound chicken until about 1/4 inch thick. Dredge in egg & bread with bread crumbs, flour, oregano, salt, & pepper. 

Coat the bottom of your large pan in olive oil. On high heat, fry chicken for about two minutes on each side. Transfer chicken to small baking dish & keep in oven on 250 for about 15 minutes or until cooked through. I used this time to finish the sauce and cook the pasta.

Prepare pasta or rice of your choice. I prefer whole grain spaghetti.

Bring sauce to boil & add marsala wine. Reduce heat to low and simmer until pasta is cooked, stirring occasionally.

Serve as you wish. I mixed sauce and pasta on the plate, then topped with chicken and more sauce. It looks messy, true, but it was absolutely yummy!




0 comments:

Post a Comment